Thursday 24 April 2014

Andrea Minini


Animals in moire
This set of animal prints by Italian-based illustrator Andrea Minini are created using Adobe Illustrator. She uses a range of lines of varying thicknesses and contours to create the different tones present in these symmetrical images.
I like the symmetrical nature of these animals, as they create an image that looks almost like a symbol or emblem. The idea of particular animals being represented by their own respective symbols is a very prominent one in native american culture. The simple, distinct shapes and areas of tone do reflect some native american art, and I want to adapt this style to use in creating my own emblems for the Abenaki deities I am depicting.
I feel that Minini's style in these images is a little too complex for what I am wanting to achieve. I want my emblems to be very simple and easily identifiable. In my emblems, I will use considerably less lines, probably just thick, outer lines. The style here in Minini's work is too busy and distracting from the pictorial, simple storytelling I am aiming to achieve.
This idea of depicting an animal using it's key features, such as the owl's big eyes and 'ears', is one I will take into account for my own work. I will break down the descriptions of each deity given in traditional Abenaki folklore, and then depict them visually using distinct, easily identified sections.

No comments:

Post a Comment