Friday 25 April 2014

Julian Mendoza

Native Americans/Birds of Prey


















Mendoza is a native american artists with cultural roots in the southern Aztec tribes. These particular pieces focus on depicting tribesmen with birds of prey. Their clothing reflects and embodies the bird behind them, showing that they hold deep spiritual meaning, or perhaps share their aspects.
"As I began to pursue my personal Native journey, I soon realized my admiration and respect for these regal birds came from a deeper place. Native People consider Birds of Prey sacred, especially the Eagle. We have looked to Father Sky and gained strength from Cuauhtli (Native for Eagle) for thousands of years. Their feathers are highly respected and thought to have great powers, and they are used in many of our traditional ceremonies." -Julian Mendoza- source
I like this idea of giving people aspects of animals they are associated with, either through their clothing or through their features. This is something i would like to take into my work, but I want to stay well away from anthropomorphism as much as I can. I want to focus on my work appearing tribal, in a manner similar to cave paintings. Since i don't plan to use any text, I need my characters to clearly show what they are and how they act, so showing their qualities and character through animalistic features could be a good direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment